Saturday 13 July 2013

Dan Black paralyzed man raised $30k to help him walk again...then gave it all away to help a 5 year-old take HIS first steps


Four years ago, Dan Black was paralysed in a cycling accident after been knocked off his bike by a car in 2009, as he cycled to work .He broke a vertebrae which left him paralysed from the chest down. He also suffered a stroke as he recovered in hospital, which left him without the use of his right arm.

Ever since, he has been raising money for pioneering stem cell treatment which could one day help him walk again.

But now, after collecting £20,000, the 25-year-old has given it all away – so a little boy can learn to walk instead.

Mr Black abandoned his own dream after hearing about five-year-old Brecon Vaughan, who lives near him just outside Chepstow, in South Wales.



Dan Black (right) has given up his dream of walking again to help five-year-old Brecon Vaughan (left) take his first unaided steps



Brecon was born with rare spastic diplegia cerebral palsy which causes stiffness in his legs, poor balance and coordination.

He has to use a walking frame to get around, and his family are desperately trying to raise £60,000 for an operation in America to help him walk unaided for the first time.

Mr Black, who is wheelchair-bound, said he made the extraordinary gesture because Brecon had a better chance of walking than he does.

‘I know for me that things aren’t going to get better any time soon,’ he said. ‘I just wanted to do something that could help someone whose life could get better.

‘Brecon can definitely walk if he has the surgery. I wouldn’t wish being paralysed on anyone, so if I can help someone walk, I will.’

He continued: ‘While there is hope for Brecon, I will do everything I can, because I don’t want to see a young boy suffer.

‘I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who has helped me out but this boy needs it more than I do at the moment.

‘It would make me very happy to see the difference made to Brecon’s life. I just hope when I give the money it encourages others to [give].’

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

Theme images by andynwt. Powered by Blogger.
 

© Red Hibiscus, All Rights Reserved
Design by Dzignine and Conceptual photography